Generally, the standard install procedure work as expected, if you face any issue you can click on the “Repair” option but The Repair option appears only for installed instances of Visual Studio.
Repairing Visual Studio will reset the environment. Local customizations like per-user extensions installed without elevation, user settings, and profiles will be removed. Your synchronized settings such as themes, colors, key bindings will be restored.
Here is troubleshooting guide provide by Microsoft
Here is one more Guide on Github
you can also raise a Report a problem with the developer community
Below are some typical issues faced while installation.
Visual Studio 2017 Installation finished with errors – Couldn’t install Microsoft.VisualC.Redist.12
Package ‘Microsoft.VisualC.Redist.12,version=12.0.30501,chip=x86’ failed to install.
Return code: -2147467259
Return code details: Access is denied
To resolve above issue, you can try below trick,
Steps to follow the Visual Studio Installation fails with a warning:
• Download the latest Visual C++ 2013 Redistributables x86 and x64
• Install them without restarting Windows
• Copy/Replace each of the executables under the following paths: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio2019\Packages\Microsoft.VisualC.Redist.12,version=12.0.30501,chip=x86 C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio2019\Packages\Microsoft.VisualC.Redist.12,version=12.0.30501.1,chip=x64
• Open the Visual studio installer
• Select Modify without selecting any additional features
Once Modify is selected the installation will start, the pasted files will be replaced by a _package.json file and the installation will continue with the rest of the features without any issues.
If you come across any other issue please add comment.